Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Homesick Blues and the Radical Views, or How I Lost My Indie-Rock Credibility

I know that Rod Stewart has been a punch-line for over 30 years, but that doesn't keep his first four records (and the stuff with the Faces) from being really terrific. He is a punch-line because his early stuff was so great. Lester Bangs mentions hanging out with him and the Faces, and he even wrote a short story about Maggie May." Hell, Rod probably deserves rock and roll heaven for penning, "I could steal my daddy's cue and make a living out of playing pool."

But here we give a listen to "You Wear it Well" fron Never a Dull Moment.


In these facebook days, the situation is now more familiar than when the song was written. The narrator is writing to get back in touch with an old girlfriend. He tries, to be nonchalant, "I have nothing to do this hot afternoon but to settle down and write you a line." He blames himself for the break-up, and imagines her thinking that "he must be sinking or else he wouldn't try to get in touch with [her]."

He reminiscences about days spent more freely:

Remember them basement parties, your brother's karate
the all day rock and roll shows
Them homesick blues and radical views
haven't left a mark on you, you wear it well
A little out of time but I don't mind


He is stumbling over things to write about and reminding himself to "write about the birthday gown I bought in town" that she wore with a grace defying the times. And then his current situation comes into view belying his initial coolness. He's on a coffee break and trying to put a letter together before has to get back to work. And he's not just missing this girl but his youth and days he could spend at parties and rock and roll shows. The song was written in 1972, well into the 60's hangover, so he's also remembering more radical times. And seeing their cost. And yes, "The homesick blues and radical views haven't left a mark on you" is just brilliant. He seems to have survived even if he's laboring at some stupid job. But he's also a little pathetic: "I don't object if you call collect." And then he sends off the letter not even sure if it'll reach her: "After all these years, I hope it's the same address."

Of course, I focus on the lyrics but the music is great. A hard-driving folky stomp with violin and swelling organ. Some touches of blue-eyed soul but without any Joe Cocker ministrelsy.

One of my favorite songs. My radio show was even briefly renamed, "The All Day Rock and Roll Show." But mostly so I could start mic breaks with, "You're listening to the All Day Rock and Roll Show. We'll be here for another hour."

I learned about this song through the boozily affectionate Mekons cover. I was surprised that it was a Rod song, and bought Never a Dull Moment at Vinyl Solution for a buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment